Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I found a bucket of elbow grease. :)--Jessica

And we're off!!!  I am so excited to be doing this challenge with everyone.  I have been trying to get motivated and back into shape since I had baby Jack eight and a half months ago.  Several attempts were made but none were backed up with any real elbow grease because I just never really had it in me.
First, I signed myself--and half of my family--up for a 10k race.  I didn't feel much like running but I knew this would force me into training because I was the instigator of the family event and HAD to bring my game on race-day.  Ultimately though, my training wasn't very consistent and my family had to cancel.  I saw an easy way out, and I took it.
Next, I joined Weight Watchers hoping that the weekly weigh-in in front of a pair of sharp-eyed old ladies would frighten me into a motivated pace.  Unfortunately, I only had to pay for one month at a time, and it's a heap more fun to buy an extra $40 a month of cookies than it is to pay someone to make me feel guilty. :)
I kept on grasping for a will that I knew had to be down inside me somewhere, but I kept coming up empty handed; I felt like total wimp.  I wanted to just set the whole issue down and stomp on it. Then, at last I heard about this "wellness challenge" and finally felt the spark of real desire that I had been looking for all along.
What really lit me up was well-roundedness of the challenge.  The plan calls for new habits that will strengthen me physical, mentally and spiritually, and for me, that's exciting! I also like the fact that at the end of the day I get to check off boxes for all of the good things that I did that day instead of kicking myself for eating too many points or calories.  It allows me to focus on the positive; plus, I get less bruises. :)
One of the new habits that I am challenged to grab a hold of is daily journaling or blogging.  I've decided  to blab on the blog about my journey through this 10 week challenge, so I hope that that old spark of will-power will just keep on growing so that I don't fall flat on my face on the world wide web.
Any blogs about my journey will be labeled "Jessica."

2 comments:

  1. $40 worth of cookies?! LOL! I'm glad you are blogging about your experience. It will help me feel less like I am doing it alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just sent you an invite to blog about your experience too. I don't want to feel all alone either. :)

    ReplyDelete